Yep. I’m on the kale chip bandwagon. I love ’em! I love just about everything that’s crispy and salted, with a tinge of olive oil.
Last night I burnt my kale chips. Tonight I crisped them to a perfect, crackly finish, and wouldn’t you know, I forgot to look at the clock when I put them in? So I don’t know how long they baked. I’m guessing about 18 minutes and 39 seconds.
They’re yummy. They don’t taste like broccoli after they’re baked like this. I don’t know why that surprises me. No vegetable tastes like it does raw, after you’ve baked it for almost twenty minutes. But I am surprised. Please forgive my naivete.
My Keys to Crackly Kale Success
1. Mix the kale and olive oil really well – use your hands to really get in there.
2. No stems. They’re tough and chewy. Get rid of them!
3. Season well, after they come out of the oven. Not before!
4. When you serve them, speak with exclamation points to enthuse your eaters. Kale chips! Vitamins! So healthy, yet they’re crispy, too! Deep, dark green!
5. Fifteen to twenty minutes in a 350 degree oven.
6. Seasoning salt.